Teach Paws.b With The Mindfulness In Schools Project.
Running from 9th – 13th July, 2018 Please apply here and await approval before paying.
The Sanctuary is pleased to offer the Teach Paws b Course. The allows you to train to teach mindfulness to 7- 11 year olds. The course will consist of real-time lessons, an exploration of the pedagogy of the Paws b curriculum, and opportunities to practise teaching the key exercises, in order to leave feeling confident and empowered to teach the curriculum to young people.
For more details about Paws b, please click here.
Each training day will run approximately from 9.30 am – 2.00pm, with a 9.00 am registration time on Day 1.
Vegetarian lunch and refreshments are included in the fee.
If you meet the Prerequisites for training and agree to the Terms & Conditions for booking a Paws b course and the Terms and conditions of teaching the Paws b curriculum please complete the application form below. The application form cannot be completed by someone else on your behalf.
1. Ongoing commitment of a Paws b teacher
Paws b is a classroom-based course for teaching in schools and other educational settings where there are safeguarding policies and procedures in place. It must not be taught as a public course.
Being a Paws b teacher is not just about teaching mindfulness. If mindfulness is to become an established part of the education of children and young people, it is very important that the highest standards of professionalism and evidence-based integrity are maintained. We believe that this is in the interests of all those teaching mindfulness and the young people learning it. We ask that anyone applying to train to teach Paws bunderstands and agrees to the prerequisites and to continue to adhere to these standards on an ongoing basis.
1.1 – Personal Mindfulness Practice
Having an established personal mindfulness practice allows you to:
- Teach mindfully
- Embody mindfulness
- Model mindfulness to young people
- Guide practices with awareness
- Skilfully respond in enquiry
1.2 – Teaching Mindfulness to Young People
- Ability to engage pupils in a classroom setting
- Good class management skills
- Good communication skills
- To inform and include staff and senior leadership in the mindfulness work in the school in which you are teaching
- If applying to train to teach Paws b, previous experience of teaching or working in some capacity with groups of students in the relevant age group (7 – 11) is crucial. While there will be discussions and advice as part of the course about how mindfulness teaching might sit within a school classroom environment, it is assumed that you already have general classroom management skills and experience before attending the training.
- If you intend to be a self-employed teacher of Paws b going into schools, it is important to be aware that the current financial constraints on schools are severe, and many schools have very limited resources to pay for external providers of teaching and training. Before investing in training to teach Paws b, we recommend that you approach schools in your area and try to get a sense of whether or not they would be in a position to employ you as an external teacher.