Mindful Parenting with Dominic Cogan February 2019
Mindfulness can make the job of parenting easier, and more joyful. You can join Dominic Cogan in the Sanctuary on his 6-week course tailor-made for parents.
- Designed for parents and guardians of children aged 4 to 12
- Supports both parent and child in reducing stress
- Each week features a different topic with supporting handouts
- A chance to meet other parents in a friendly supportive environment
- The course features a variety of teaching methods including short video clips, talks on the topic for the week, group discussion and the chance to practice mindfulness to reduce stress.
When: Tuesday Mornings 10.30am – 12.30pm
Where: the Sanctuary
Dates: to Tuesday, 26th February – Tuesday 02nd April
Over the course of the 6 weeks Dominic will be:
- Exploring the role of a parent and what it really means to be: ‘The Carer’.
- Addressing behavioural issues in home life for parents and children.
- Looking at patterns of behaviour and offering mindfulness based strategies to support change.
- Introducing mindfulness practices to support parenting, reduce stress and to improve communication skills.
- Enhancing parent’s confidence and self-care skills through mindfulness resulting in an enriched family life.
Your Facilitator: Dominic Cogan
Dominic is a parent of three children and has worked as a primary school teacher for many years. He has been practicing mindfulness for over fifteen years. He received professional training in teaching Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) from both the Centre for Mindfulness Research and Practice, University of Bangor and also the Institute for Mindfulness Based Approaches (IMA, Germany). He has also trained with the UK based Mindfulness in Schools Project (MiSP) to teach the .b mindfulness programme to adolescents, the Paws b mindfulness programme to children and the .b Foundations mindfulness programme to teachers and those working with young people.
In addition, he works as a teacher trainer on the MiSP .b teacher training courses. Dominic has undergone training to teach the Irish-based Parents Plus course in parenting teens. He has previously taught a number of parenting courses at The Sanctuary. He has a particular interest in promoting mindfulness in schools and in supporting teachers to do so.
In addition to his professional mindfulness training, Dominic holds a MA in Education from the University of London and a Combined Certificate in Counselling Skills and Practice from CSCT London.