It’s back! Our next MBLC Teacher Training Pathway begins on January 30/31, 2021
Part 1- Foundations. The Being Present Course
Prerequisite for Introductory Teaching Skills
This 4 weekend, in depth training is spread out over a nine month period and aims to enable participants to establish an effective and regular daily mindfulness practice so as to help our minds to settle and stabilise. One of the distinctive qualities of this training is the kindness and compassion practices that are weaved throughout.
It is ideal for beginners; however, it is also for those who have previous experience of mindfulness and who want to develop their practice and for those who might go on to train to teach mindfulness in the workplace or the 8 week Mindfulness Based Living Course (MBLC).
Mindfulness is evidenced to reduce stress, improve concentration and mental clarity, build emotional intelligence, and the ability to relate to others and one’s self with kindness, acceptance, and compassion.
However, most importantly, mindfulness has the potential to create the conditions to flourish in one’s life.
** This course can act as a stand alone or is part of the MBLC Teacher Training. Participants need to have completed this training to go on to Teaching Skills.
This course is scheduled to run onsite in The Sanctuary on Saturday January 30th and Sunday January 31st. However, if Covid restrictions remain in place, the course will run online every 2nd Tuesday, from 7-9.30pm, starting on Tuesday January 26th.
**** Following weekends are as scheduled:
March 20/21st or Every 2nd Tuesday starting from March 23rd
May 22/23 or Every 2nd Tuesday starting from May 18th
July 24/25 or Every 2nd Tuesday starting from July 27th
Cost: €165 per Weekend/Part. Total: €660
*********This course is now full ******
Part 2- Introductory Teaching Skills
Prerequisite for MBLC Retreat
- Two weekends of Level 1 Teaching Skills take place over three months providing :
- structured training in teaching MBIs, covering all MBI-TAC domains, with emphasis on guiding mindfulness practice and interactive enquiry;
- formative feedback on teaching practice, including self, peer and tutor feedback, with structured feedback supporting development of self-reflection to develop teacher awareness and skills (NB. Tutor feedback (verbal) to be given with respect to the one page MBI-TAC feedback sheet, citing the domain and the criteria and participants to be encouraged to feedback in the same way); and
- 1000 word assignment on teaching mindfulness to groups drawing on own experience as well as recommended reading, including referencing the MBI-TAC domains, and receiving tutor feedback.
NB. Students completing Level 1 at the MSc Year end retreats are exempt this assignment because of more in depth assignments written as part of the MSc.
Once you have completed the Teaching Skills weekends, you will be able to start guiding some practices in the workplace.
You will also be qualified to move on to the five-day MBLC Retreat where you will learn to deliver the eight-week MBLC course.
**** Following weekends are as scheduled:
Saturday 4th & Sunday 5th December 2021
Saturday 5th & Sunday 6th March 2022
Cost: €165 per Weekend/Part. Total: €330
Part 3: MBLC Retreat
- The Level 2 MBLC Teaching Skills retreat nis taught over over five days providing:
- structured training in teaching MBIs, covering all MBI-TAC domains;
- training in theory, rationale and intentions underpinning the MBLC;
- formative feedback on teaching practice, including self, peer and tutor feedback, with structured feedback supporting development of self-reflection to develop teacher awareness and skills (NB. Feedback to be given with respect to the one page MBI-TAC feedback sheet, citing the domain and the criteria); and in person tutor assessment of readiness to teach the MBLC (at least MBI-TAC advanced beginner across all domains) and awarding of readiness to teach the MBLC certificate
**** Following 5 days are as scheduled:
Monday 6th – Friday 10th June 2022
Please find below the total cost of Teacher Training Pathway with detailed breakdown of staged activity and how we adhere to BAMBA (British Association of Mindfulness Based Approaches) Good Practice Guidelines for Mindfulness Teaching Organizations
What is the MBLC?
The Mindfulness Based Living Course (MBLC) is a weekly mindfulness course based on the Mindfulness Association’s Being Present Mindfulness Training, which we deliver here in the Sanctuary. It is the eight week mindfulness program (Mindfulness Based Intervention) that is taught as part of the MSc: Studies in Mindfulness with the University of Aberdeen. One of the distinctive qualities of the MBLC is the kindness and compassion practices that are weaved throughout.
The course consists of eight classes, which are typically two hours long, preceded by an introductory class before the eight week course begins and concluded by follow up class after the eight week course ends. A day of mindfulness practice is also typically included between Weeks 6 and 7.
The weekly themes are:
- Introductory Session – What is Mindfulness and Why Practice It?
- Week 1 – Start Where We Are
- Week 2 – The Body as a Place to Stay Present
- Week 3 – Introducing Mindfulness Support
- Week 4 – Working with Distraction
- Week 5 – Exploring the Undercurrent
- Week 6 – Attitude of the Observer•Day of Practice
- Week 7 – Self-Acceptance
- Week 8 – A Mindfulness Based Life
- Follow Up – The Rest of Your Life
If you are a mindfulness teacher, for example in MBSR or MBCT and would like to train to teach our eight-week Mindfulness Based Living Course (MBLC) you will need to complete an MBLC eight-week course or attend at least weekends 2 and 3 of the Being Present Mindfulness training in order to familiarise yourself with aspects of the MBLC curriculum which are not present in MBSR or MBCT before completing the MBLC Retreat.